Kataastaasan by Hannah Buena and Paolo Chikiamco


I want to quickly mention Kataastaasan (Highest), a comic book by Hannah Buena and Paolo Chikiamco, because I was having a pretty dead day today until I read it. Kataastaasan is an entertaining mixture of steampunk and Philippine folklore - with cool illustrations. It's targeted at adult readers. I think it has some teen appeal (yes, I am always thinking of young readers!) because it is set in Cebu City in 1770 and is an alternate history of the Philippine struggle for independence from Spain. High school and college students study this revolution and Kataastaasan seems like a fun supplement or springboard for discussion on Philippine history. There's a bit of innuendo in the story. That might make some people hesitant to recommend it to teens, but the innuendos weren't really gratuitous. After all, sometimes revolutionary women had to pretend to be tramps to spy on the enemy . . .

It appears Kataastaasan will not be a series, as it will be published later this year by Espresso Comics, "a weekly comics magazine that features one-shot comic stories by Filipino creators." Too bad. :o(


[My copy of Kataastaasan was an advance reading copy provided by Paolo Chikiamco.]

Comments

kwesifriends said…
Wow, it looks like the cover art looks great. Where can I buy a copy of that comic/s?
Tarie Sabido said…
I don't know yet. :o( Will let you know once I find out!
kwesifriends said…
Thanks tarie.