It's Official.

New Line Cinema will have another movie trilogy based on a fantasy literature trilogy: His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. I'm excited about watching these movies, but I don't know if I am happy. I have mixed feelings. I haven't read the books yet, but I will (I've always wanted to read them - always been curious about them). Especially now that the movies are coming out. But Pullman being anti-religion, anti-The Chronicles of Narnia, etc. just makes me wanna... AAARRRGGGHHH. GGGRRRRRR! =(

Comments

Tarie Sabido said…
I know, I haven't heard any bad reviews of the trilogy either. And in a survey of favorite British books, the trilogy was number three! (Number one was The Lord of the Rings and number two was Pride and Prejudice.) I will read His Dark Materials. I just don't like how ABRASIVELY anti-religion, especially anti-Christian, Pullman is. If people can respect his being an atheist, why can't he respect how other people believe in a god???
Anonymous said…
Oh man. These books sucked Paul & I in - in a BIG way. We weren't prepared for how consuming they were going to be... and how much we would enjoy them. I'm scared of movies just because I'm afraid they won't do the books justice.

They are definitely worth a read.

I hear you on Pullman's anti-religion slant.. I read the books without knowing that and enjoyed them. I wasn't threatened or bothered by the anti-religion perspective. I guess it's because the religion he described had no similarity to a true, living breathing faith of someone who is following Christ.

My two cents.
Tarie Sabido said…
Janece, that's interesting! I like your comment on how Pullman is probably criticizing a PARTICULAR kind of religiosity/spirituality. I actually now want to read His Dark Materials even more.