Where I'm From

I am from books, from words and ideas. I am from the still unfinished house with papaya trees in the yard... dusty, spacious, with breezes cooling and caressing me.

I am from the mango tree, the orchid, the bamboo hut, the cotton plant, the rose - thorny and fragrant.

I am from Saturdays spent on the farm and independence, from Sabido and Lozano and Olarte.

I am from the assertive and principled.

From "read this book" and "study every day."

I am from praying together as a family every afternoon and reading the Bible on my own every night.

I'm from Manila and Filipinos, tapioca fruit salad and beef jerky.

From the grandfather who "borrowed" a water buffalo to plow fields in the wee hours of the morning, the rodeos, and the selling of cattle to a meat packing company.

I am from cabinets in Mommy's bedroom filled with fabric-covered photo albums capturing her modeling career and our years in Nevada and California, chronicling every vacation and holiday and showing how far we have come together.


This is inspired by a poem from George Ella Lyon. I found out about it from a post by Michelle of Bleeding Espresso. Use this form to write your own! It's therapeutic! Please let me know in the comments section if you have decided to explore where you are from. :o)

Comments

Gorgeous. I'll never stop loving these! So happy you wrote this.

And it *is* therapeutic, isn't it? Even if some people wouldn't ever otherwise stop and think about where they came from (too philosophical?) this form gives a great opportunity.
Tarie Sabido said…
Thank you so much Michelle for sharing "Where I'm From"! I got emotional and teary-eyed while writing this. It reminded me of how important my family is to me.
This was wonderful to read. It's the insightful and intriguing "Tarie Poem."
I'll have to go check out the link and form. I have a feeling it will take me a while to write my own... it looks like something that will take time and soul searching.
Tarie Sabido said…
Thank you! Natalie, I really look forward to reading where you are from!