What I Learned From Freedom Writers

I finally watched Freedom Writers (based on the true story). My friend Nice lent me her dvd. The movie reminded me of several important things. Actually, how could I have forgotten?

1. Teaching is not "just a job."

2. You have to really care about your students to be a good teacher.

3. A good teacher and/or a good class does make a difference in the lives of young people.

4. The "problem students," the ones who give us the most trouble, are the students who need us the most.

5. Reading/literature can touch and change lives.

6. Journaling is therapeutic (and improves communication skills).


Here it is... After seven months away from students, I am starting to miss teaching.

Comments

Cyam said…
Me, too. But I'm sure this self-imposed hiatus will make us better next time around. =)
Tarie Sabido said…
Yes, that is exactly why I am on hiatus - so that I can mature and improve. And get a life outside of teaching. :)
Anonymous said…
I'm a teacher. I think I should go watch this movie.
Tarie Sabido said…
Hi, Phillip! Yes, you should! :o)