I finally watched Freedom Writers (based on the true story). My friend Nice lent me her dvd. The movie reminded me of several important things. Actually, how could I have forgotten?
1. Teaching is not "just a job."
2. You have to really care about your students to be a good teacher.
3. A good teacher and/or a good class does make a difference in the lives of young people.
4. The "problem students," the ones who give us the most trouble, are the students who need us the most.
5. Reading/literature can touch and change lives.
6. Journaling is therapeutic (and improves communication skills).
Here it is... After seven months away from students, I am starting to miss teaching.