I've placed my orders. :)

I've decided what to get with the Amazon gift certificate I won during the blogiversary celebration of Chickenblog. :) I chose two children's books that, for some reason, are not available here in the Philippines and one food/travel memoir that is available here but was on sale on Amazon. :)

I have wanted to read Lois Lowry's Gossamer ever since I read a fantastic review of it on A Fuse #8 Production. I like Lois Lowry. I read her Newbery Medal winner The Giver and it was mind-blowing. A couple of years ago I took a graduate class on individualism in American literature and I decided to focus on individualism in American children's literature for a paper. For my paper I analyzed The Giver and another Newbery Medal winner, Katherine Paterson's Bridge to Terabithia. The other children's book I ordered was Jennifer Holm's Penny From Heaven, a 2007 Newbery Honor Book.

Last, but not least, I decided on Two for the Road: Our Love Affair with American Food by Jane and Micheal Stern. I love reading about gastronomy and reading food memoirs and travel memoirs. And how could I resist when I read the first sentence of Two for the Road:

"Our first date was over a white clam pizza at Pepe's Pizzeria on Wooster Square in New Haven, Connecticut, and it was instantly apparent as we gazed into each other's eyes across the thin-crusted Neapolitan pie, speckled with tiny, tender clams and frosted with olive oil, that we shared a passion for garlic."

I'll write detailed reviews of the books after I read them. :D The plots of Gossamer and Penny from Heaven are too rich to summarize in a post like this.

Comments

Yayy!! I'm glad you found goodies to treasure and I hope they get home to you very soon. Happy reading.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on winning the Amazon gift certificate! Things like that are such a huge pick-me-up, I hope you enjoy the goodies you bought!

Ari (Baking and Books)