Natalie has requested I post more about my brothers and I am happy to oblige. =)

I call Martin "O-nii-chan" because that is the affectionate term in Japanese for "older brother." "Chan" is a term of endearment in Japan. "Older brother" without the affectionate term would be "O-nii-san" or "Nii-san" and other forms of "Nii." I'm no expert on Japanese but I am really into the Japanese culture (I guess it's pretty obvious in this blog).

I'm not sure how to explain JP's nickname. O-nii-chan used to call JP "Jepoy." Then that morphed into "Shmipoy," then finally became "Pipoy." (Sometimes, I call him "JP-chan" or "Pipoy-chan.") Only Nii-chan and I can call JP "Pipoy." Yes, that's a rule. I can't really explain it except by saying that I can be possessive of my brothers. Especially with my younger brothers (JP and Brian). It's an Asian older sister thing. Or can it be like that in other cultures as well???
As for my Pop-Tart/Brian-chan/Pop-Tart-chan: There was a time I was thinking about food nicknames in general. Like "Cupcake," Sweet Pea," etc. Then I started thinking about other food nicknames that people haven't used yet. And one day I just started calling Brian "Pop-Tart" even though I hadn't been thinking of nicknames specifically for him!

My real name is actually Roberta Marie. Tarie/Tarie-chan is my nickname. roberTA maRIE. Get it? Heeheehee. =) And it has something to do with the Atari too. Remember that game console? It was really popular in the Philippines when I was born. My dad was playing that when my mom was in labor with me.

My brothers and I are really, really close. They are my best friends. (Excluding God,) There is nobody and nothing more important to me than my brothers. I'll post more on my brothers soon! =) I am very proud of them after all. =D

Comments

Thank you! Mexicans are big on nicknames too. They aren't always endearing, but they stick, so you might not ever realize a person's actual name. I love to hear about how close you are to your brothers... family is great, especially when you can be around, supporting eachother, sharing good times and rough patches. Have a great day (night?)